Private Practice with Couples Solutions since 2015
Post Graduate studies in Human Sexology, specializing in transgender care, from the International Institute of Clinical Sexology.
University of Central Florida
Master of Arts in Counselor Education, specializing in Marriage and Family Therapy (CACREP)
Graduation: May 2015
University of Iceland
Bachelor of Academic in Psychology, 1997
Recent achievements, professional development and clinical experience:
- Passed Florida Marriage and Family Licensure (AMFTRB) exam 2016.
- Completed EMDR certification training (level I and II) and supervision 2015.
- Level 1 and 2 in Gottman’s Method of Couples Therapy 2014.
- Completed Externship in Emotionally Focused couples therapy 2015.
- Completed Family Mediation Training in Florida Courts 2014.
- Safe Zone Certified by UCF 2014.
- Vice President of Chi Sigma Iota, Upsilon Chi, honors program for Counselors at UCF 2014-2015.
- Co-facilitation of therapeutic groups for teenagers on grief and loss 2014 and 2015.
- Completed practicum class counseling clients at UCF 2014.
- Completed 400 hours of direct counseling 2014-2015 during internship at Florida Hospital.
Resource Manager at Reena; Canada 2006-2012.
Former Position: Resource Supervisor at Reena (2001-2004).
- Managed a department of group homes for people with developmental disabilities.
- Ran 12 group homes with affiliations with 2 long term care facilities.
- Supervised 8 direct reports and 140 indirect reports.
- Maintained all department budgets.
- Constantly worked toward providing a better quality of care.
- Trained staff in the areas of Family Involvement and Pharmacology.
- Participated in fundraising events.
- Toured locations with donors and stakeholders.
- Responsible for running Continuous Quality Insurance Committee on behalf of Reena.
- Member of Labor Management Committee and Bargaining Committee.
- Lead investigations on bullying in the workplace and abuse investigations of clients.
- Participated in senior management decisions.
Manager of Service Delivery at Tobias House (1 year Secondment from Reena); 2005
- Managed services for 3 sites that provide attendant care for people with physical disabilities and live independently.
- Supervised 4 coordinators and a resource center
- Responsible for intake of new clients, preparing statistics for Ministry of Health and attending regular meetings to discuss and plan for emerging trends.
- Prepared reports and proposals for new services and/or funds and resolving service delivery issues. Occupational Health & Safety was another large part of my duties as Tobias House was involved with the “Last Chance” initiative and we participated in “Safety Groups” as well.
- I worked closely with the manager of Human Resources resolving many challenging staff issues such as grievances, terminations, discipline, mental health issues, drug abuse and issues around harassment and bullying.
2001-2000; Supervisor at Pioneer Youth Services Waterloo, Canada.
I supervised a 10-bed home for youth with behavioral issues and developmental disabilities placed through Children’s Aid Society. I attended many medical appointments and assessments, as my caseload included youths with Prader Willy Syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, youths with sexually deviant behaviors and Autism.
1999-2000; Child and Youth Worker at Regesh Family & Child Services, Canada. I worked front line with emotionally and behaviorally disturbed latency aged children. My duties included: clinical planning, executing and following up on behavioral programs, crises intervention, counseling, and direct assistance with daily living.
1995-1997; Therapist in the Icelandic Treatment Centre “Stuðlar” for troubled teens. I conducted group therapy with cognitive and behavioral approaches in an assessment center for troubled teens. Consulted with and assisted psychologists form their clinical assessment of the teens and wrote detailed reports with recommendations about their follow up treatment.
1993-1994; Support worker in group home for adult autistic individuals. I assisted clients with daily living, was in charge of the house budget and ran the program during the supervisor’s absence.
1991-1992; Support worker in the National Hospital of Iceland, Psychiatric Ward for Youth.
Assisted patients with carrying out treatment plans and with tasks related to daily living.
Part-time and volunteer work
1997-1998; Volunteer for Mood Disorders of Toronto, youth division.
Facilitated self-help groups meetings.
1997; Supported 2 different individuals integrating back into the community after protracted psychiatric hospital stays, in Iceland.
Member of CSI (Chi Sigma Iota, Upsilon Chi, honors program for Counselors at UCF) since 2013.
Member of ACA (American Counseling Association) since 2013.
Member of CFAMFT(Central Florida Association for Marriage and Family Therapy) 2013.
Research Interest and Focus
- Couples Work.
- Human Sexuality.
- Depression and suicidality.
- Chronic pain and terminal illness.